Expert: “What Type of Work is Best Suited for Third Culture Kids?”
Donna Musil took seven years and 500 interviews of Third Culture Kids/Army Brats and shares her wisdom with TCK Academy.
“It took me 40 years to figure that out, but hopefully if those kids figure that out earlier, they’ll have much easier time with it.” – Donna Musil
Listen to the PREVIEW here: (2min)
* Many TCKs want to do something that has a service and mission aspect.
* Over 80 percent of TCKs are professionals, semi-professionals, executives, or managers/officials.
* Occupational choices reflect a continued love of learning, interest in helping, and desire for independence and flexibility.
* Fully one quarter work in educational institutions as teachers, professors, or administrators.
* 17% of TCKs are in professional settings, such as medical or legal fields.
* 17% of TCKs are self-employed, one-third of these as presidents of their own companies. The self-employed, in particular, reflect the creative and risktaking streak found in so many TCKs.
* One won’t find many TCKs in large corporations. Nor are there many in government. Two-thirds of the small number (6 percent) in this sample who have government Jobs are in foreign service/AID or in branches such as the Bureau of Wildlife and Fisheries, or national parks.
* “Do what you love and the money will come.”
Want to hear the full series? Get the Full Audio. >>
Cottrell AB, Useem RH (1994). TCKs maintain global dimensions throughout their lives. International Schools Services, 8(4). http://www.tckworld.com/useem/art5.html